Darling, I am growing old,
Silver threads among the gold,
Shine upon my brow today;
Life is fading fast away.

Eben E. Rexford

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Senior Perks

The other day I wrote an entry about the negative side of growing older. The Cyberspace Monster gobbled it up, probably for good reason. Nobody wants to listen to an old geezer grumble about aches and pains, particularly another old geezer.

Today I'm thinking of the perks of  being older. Number one on my list is grandchildren. I have seven, and they're the best grandchildren in the world. Oh, I know other grandparents would argue with me on that point, but I'm allowed to ignore them.  My kids are great, too. In a couple of weeks my baby will be forty, so with an eight year span between the three, I think I can claim to know a lot about raising kids. The reason you try to do your best to raise good kids, is so that maybe they'll present you with wonderful grandchildren. In our case, it worked. I'm sure being perfect parents had a lot to do with it. LOL  Yeah, I know, you think I'm exaggerating, but who cares what you think?

I'm in a more positive mood today because I have Jessica and Daniel with me.. I get to see them more than the other five, because they live a lot closer. At 9 and 11, they still need babysitters when their parents go out, so we don't have a lot of trouble snagging them for a night now and then. They arrived about noon, bearing Subway sandwiches for their grandparents. Yum. Grandpa was more than glad to eat his for lunch, but since I'd just finished breakfast, I stashed mine away. Predictably, they also brought a package of mac and cheese for dinner. One thing I've learned about grandchildren, is that they're inseparatable from their mac and cheese. Tonight I gave Jessi her first chance to actually make their favorite entree. Grandpa dumped the cooked macaroni in the strainer, then back in the pan. Jessi squeezed the cheese out of the foil package, stirred, and, viola! Mac & cheese!  Happy kids, messy kitchen, oh well!  I feasted on my seafood Subway sandwich, and Jessi didn't notice that I didn't sample her cooking.

Later, the kids and I hot tubbed together. We had a deep, serious conversation - one of those that can only happen between kids & Grandma in the hot tub. The dishes were still in the sink when when we headed for bed, but, who cares? Our time together is a lot more important than dirty dishes.

Next day note: Grandpa did the dishes this morning before the rest of us rolled out of bed. That makes last night even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment