Darling, I am growing old,
Silver threads among the gold,
Shine upon my brow today;
Life is fading fast away.

Eben E. Rexford

Sunday, August 7, 2011

More Perks

After 15+ years of being eligible for senior discounts, I still haven't gotten the hang of making the most of them. We recently stayed at a federal campground, and I realized that I still haven't applied for the Golden Pass (or whatever it's called) so we could save a bundle on the fee. For that one night, we would have saved $8. I've got to remember to look that up. One more thing on my to-do list. 

I just got this link from a friend.  108 Stores with Senior Discounts (PDF, 141 KB) I wasn't aware of many of these perks. I only recently learned I could get a free drink with a dinner order at KFC.  It was so funny.  The cute teenager waiting on me was squirming, trying to ask me if I was old enough for the discount. I know darn well she had no doubt that I was, but she made such an effort not to insult me. I love seeing such thoughtfulness in a teen; I'm so often brushed off as too old to be worthy of attention.

I remember the first time I received a senior discount. I bought lunch in restaurant in Lakeport. After I got home, I realized my tab was less than it should have been. I looked at the receipt and saw that I'd been given a discount.  It didn't say senior, but I couldn't deny what it was.  Close to tears, I told Doyle that I thought I'd just been given my first senior discount. How dare that cashier assume I was past the age of 55 (or whatever their senior guideline was).  I knew I didn't look that old. I was still teaching, so I was coloring my hair to keep from being invisible to my students. My face was downright youthful looking.  Humph!

I've gotten over that. My gray hair, baggy eyes, and wrinkles, not to mention the damn old age spots, give me away every time. I've found that most clerks, however, don't offer the discount without being asked, so I've got to make myself ask for it. I need to notice which days stores give a special price to seniors. I've got to get in "old lady" mode when it comes to shopping.  A saving's a saving, no matter how I can get it.


Every time I grumble about my disintegrating body, I need to think: SENIOR DISCOUNTS. "Shop 'til you drop" happens a lot quicker now;  I have to make the best use of my time!

1 comment:

  1. I had fun taking advantage of senior discounts when eligible -- some recognized me at 50, others 55 or older. I, especially, liked being carded -- good for my ego.

    ReplyDelete